Military Resources

Members of the armed forces and their families are often more affected than other groups by licensing restrictions because of frequent relocations. To ease this burden, the Utah Legislature has authorized certain fee waivers and license exemptions for qualifying military personnel and military spouses.

License Fee Waivers

Initial License and License Renewal

DOPL requires a processing fee for initial license applications and license renewal. This fee varies by profession. The Utah Legislatures allows qualifying military service members to waive initial license and license renewal fees. Full-time active duty service members should submit the fee waiver request form with their initial and renewal license application. Download the fee waiver request form here .

Inactive License

Qualifying licensees who wish to maintain their license but who are not currently practicing in the profession can apply for inactive status. In some cases, changing a license to inactive status will remove certain CE requirements. Qualifying military service members who change their license to inactive status or who renew an inactive license can submit a fee waiver. Please note that not all professions have inactive status as an option. To check if your profession has inactive license status, refer to Utah Administrative Rule R156-1-305 . Full-time active duty service members can download the fee waiver request form for inactive status here .

Extention of License Expiring During Active Duty or Deployment

A license held by a service member that expires while the member is deployed or on state or federal active duty, is automatically extended until 90 days after their last date of deployment or discharge. Within this 90 days after the end of deployment or discharge, the service member may request renewal of their license for the period the license is normally issued, at no cost. (Utah Code Section 71A-8-103 ) Qualifying military service members should submit a fee waiver along with their renewal application. Download the fee waiver request form here.

Licensing for Military Spouses

Spouses of military service members stationed in Utah are permitted to work in licensed professions without obtaining a Utah license as long as they possess an active license from another state or territory of the United States. Military spouses may need to explain this little-known benefit to an employer or member of the public questioning whether an out-of-state license is valid. To help, the Division has created a verification letter military spouses can use to show an employer or member of the public that explains this exemption. Download the verification letter here .

Are you a veteran in crisis or concerned about one?